Posted: Oct 11 2016
What is the English definition of the Danish word ‘Hygge’? ‘Cosiness’ seems to be the closest term. That warm, fuzzy feeling of happiness (or contentedness) most commonly associated with Christmas or Thanksgiving: That time for friends, family or just yourself.
It is perhaps telling that there is no word in the English lexicon equivalent to Hygge (pronounced hue-gah*). Denmark was rated highest in the 2016 World Happiness Report**; for the Danes, Hygge is a way of life and not just for Christmas (or Thanksgiving).
Despite Hygge being as much a challenge to describe as it is to pronounce, odds are you’ve experienced that Danish feeling at some point in your life and the Design Museum has a range of products perfectly conducive to bringing out that Hyggelig feeling within you whatever the time of year:
- Marikmekko Siirtolapuutarha Tea Pot – Marikmekko’s Siirtolapuutarha’s collection has a pleasant feel of nostalgia. Perfect for everyday use and festivities. Pour the perfect cup of relaxing, soothing tea with this unique teapot.
- Mast Chocolate Bar – Hygge is about being in the moment so why not spend your moment indulging in Mast's chocolate. Forget about those calories and diet for now and indulge yourself with Mast’s range of chocolate bars to experience that true Hyggelig feeling.
- The Book of Hygge - Nothing promotes inner peace and tranquillity and that ‘Hyggelig’ feeling than reading a good book and what better book than ‘the book of Hygge’. Forget the chaos of the outside world and discover inner peace with this guide to the Danish art of living well.
- Knot Cushions - Sit back and wallow in Hygge with this strange and unique accessory that puts a smile on your face. Ragnheiour Osp Siguroardottir’s unusual knot cushions will create a sense of wonder and enchantment in your living room with their unpredictable design and curious nature.
- Kivi Glass Votive – Set the scene and create the perfect atmosphere and ambience with these glass votives designed by Heikki Orvola. Available in a range of colours, these votives are the perfect substitute for that harsh everyday lighting that is anathema to that Hygge experience.
- Normann Copenhagen Astro Tray – Hygge is all about presentation. Serve your favourite dishes, snacks or beverages on these durable oak trays which lend a sense of nature to your home.
- Kapu Coffee Scoop – The scene is set, and you’re in the moment. Now make the perfect cup of coffee with Kapu’s coffee scoop – a coffe- lover’s best friend.
- Yenchen Yawen Tealight Holder – Enhance the soft, ambient mood with these beautiful tealight holders carefully crafted and handmade in designers Yenchen and Yawen’s London studio. Unique and individual, these tealight holders are the perfect accompaniment to that Hyggelig feeling.
*How to pronounce Hygge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSXiH_0HgwI
**2016 World Happiness Report: http://www.visitdenmark.co.uk/en-gb/denmark/art/happiest-people-world