The Master and Margarita (Vintage Classic Russians Series)
- 50th Anniversary edition of the Russian classic, The Master and Margarita.
- When Satan arrives in 1930s Moscow, he brings with him a league of misfits that includes his mistress, the witch Hella, and a black cat with an unwholesome taste for vodka. Hellbent on terrorising the elite of the city, they announce their visit in theatrical outbursts of song, sudden deaths and expanding dimensions.
- Intersected with the story of Pontius Pilate, Bulgakov’s The Master and Margarita is striking not only for its imaginative scope, but also its disavowal of Realism, overthrown in favour of a carnivalesque satire intended to gouge away the respectable, atheistic façade of Russian society.
- This edition of The Master and Margarita is part of the Vintage Classic Russians Series: published for the 100th anniversary of the 1917 Russian Revolution. The book is beautifully designed and is one of six epic masterpieces that have survived controversy, censorship and suppression to influence decades of thought and artistic expression.
- Dimensions: 15.3 x 21.6 x 2.7cm
- 384 pages
- The original translation by Michael Glenny