Ai Weiwei Silk Scarf 'The Animal That Looks Like a Llama (But is Really an Alpaca)
- This 100% silk scarf is a result of deftly mastered hand-rolling techniques. It's made entirely in England and features a politically charged, kaleidoscopic design by Ai Weiwei which suggests themes of surveillance, censorship industrialisation and non-conformity.
- In Mandarin, the word for ‘alpaca’ sounds like the phrase ‘f**k your mother’ making the animal a popular internet meme representing free speech. As with much of Weiwei’s work, this scarf brings traditional and contemporary together to striking effect.
- Here, as elsewhere in Ai's work, we see the potency of humour in political messaging.
- 34" Square silk twill, hand finished. Comes with presentation box.
- Artwork by Ai Weiwei, 2015