Modern East: Build your own Moderinst DDR
- Omnipresent Plattenbau housing estates, monumental Hochhäuser, cosmic milk bars; post-war East Germany was rebuilt on concrete foundations to establish the new modernity and shape the unique and no less controversial urban landscape of the German Democratic Republic
- Modern East by Zupagrafika celebrates socialist modernist and brutalist architecture of the former East Germany. Have a peep over the Wall and reconstruct some of the most intriguing edifices erected between the early 1950s and the late 1980s, from the massive Plattenbauten of Rostock, to the icons of DDR-Moderne, like Kino International or Haus des Berliner Verlages, and the demolished relic of East Germany`s heyday - Mokka-Milch-Eisbar ‘Kosmos’
- All models feature detailed illustrations of the original facades before their renovation
- The kit includes: 9 illustrated paper models to cut out and assemble, an introduction to the history of architecture in the Deutsche Demokratische Republik by Florian Heilmeyer (writer on architecture and urbanism based in Berlin), a short piece of information on each building and easy to follow instructions
- Buildings include: Haus des Berliner Verlages. Berlin (Ost) // Kino International. Berlin (Ost) * // Ernst-Thälmann-Park Housing Complex. Berlin (Ost) // Mokka-Milch-Eisbar ‘Kosmos’. Cottbus // Y-Hochhaus. Dessau // Hochhaus Pirnaischer Platz. Dresden // ‘Scheiben’ Housing Complex. Halle (Neustadt) // City-Hochhaus. Leipzig // Terrassenhaus, Schmarl Housing Estate. Rostock
* Kino International includes 4 posters inspired by films produced in DDR, designed by Zupagrafika.